- Wu Ru ridges
Shaolin Monastery and Other Attractions Near Our Song Mountain School
Shaolin temple is located at the foot of Wu Ru peak of Song shan mountain.Our Shaolin monastery is located at the foot of Wu Ru peak of Song shan mountain.
- Song Mountain
During your trip to the Shaolin monastery, a trek to Song Mountain is a must. Located in Dengfeng city of Henan Province, Song Mountain is called the central mountain of the Five Sacred Mountains in China. It has 36 peaks and stretches 60 kilometers, composed of Taishi Mountain and Shaoshi Mountain. The highest peak is 1,494 meters above sea level. The seven peaks of Song Shan stretch for 64 kilometers between the cities of Luoyang and Zhengzhou. The slopes rise steeply from the valley and are thickly clad with trees, giving them an impressive appearance.However, the highest peak (Junji) reaches only 1,500 meters in altitude.
- Da Mo Cave
The sights at Shaolin Monastery and other attractions near Song Mountain School are inspiring and breathtaking. Below, we’ve highlighted a few places worthy of your visit when training at our monastery.
First one:Da Mo Cave is on the top of Wu ru Peak. In the early sixth century, a monk from India named Da Mo arrived at China Shaolin temple, where he founded Chan Buddhism and the system of hand-to-hand Shaolin combat.
- The Pagoda in Shaolin Monastery
The Pagoda Forest at Shaolin temple stands at the foot of Shaoshi Mountain about half a kilometer west of Shaolin temple in Henan Province. It is a concentration of tomb pagodas for eminent monks and abbots of the temple. A rough count shows more than 240 tomb pagodas of various sizes from the Tang, Song, Jin, Yuan, Ming and Qing dynasties (618-1911), making it the biggest pagoda forest in China.
- Hall of Thousand Buddhas TempleThousand Buddhist temple hall was constructed by the Ming Dynasty . It is the last construction of the Shaolin temple courtyard. The palace high 20 meters tall and the area is 300 square meters. On three walls is 500 Luo Han Dynasty, which the Ming Dynasty draws up and adjoins the Lu. Large-scale color paintings-- stemming from the Ming Dynasty, are also present. The bold design has very high artistic research value.
- Er Zu nunneryEr Zu nunnery (the second patriarch temple in honor of Da Mo's disciple, Hui Ke) is Shaolin ancient architecture in the highest-lying area on Song Mountain. According to ancient records, Zen ER Zu Hui Ke was said to stand outside all night with a sharp sword in his hand. The snow had covered his knees and he broke his left arm to show his sincerity for seeking the Dharma from Da Mo. He then went to Bo Yu peak to recover and practice. After that, Shaolin monks built Er Zu nunnery in order to commemorate the Zen ER Zu Hui Ke. The age of Er Zu nunnery is roughly the same as Chu Zu Nunnery, which all belong to the late Northern Song Dynasty.
- San Huang MonasterySan Huang Monastery spots are located 15 kilometers southwest of the Shaolin temple in Songshan Mountain in Dengfeng City. It is a major component of Songshan National Forest Park and belongs to the Shaolin tourist attractions. San Huang Monastery has unique natural environmental and geological features.It is famous for beautiful scenery, strange stones, odd peaks, magnificent natural landscape and human landscape, including the San huang Palace, An yang Palace, Qing wei Palace, Yu huang Palace and Lan Hua temple. San Huang Monastery is home to many kinds of trees and is known as a “natural geological museum” by geologists.
- Hanging BridgeThe Hanging Bridge is located near the Shaolin temple in Song Shan mountain.
- Zhongyue templeThe Zhongyue Temple is nicknamed the “Little Palace.” The temple is one of the oldest of its kind in China, originally built in the Qin Dynasty more than 2,200 years ago.It moved to its present site during the Tang Dynasty (618-907). Along the center line of the temple are about 400 constructions of various kinds, including archways, pavilions, terraces, gates, halls, and towers as well as many tall, gnarled and weather-beaten cypresses that are mostly in the large courtyard. It covers an area of 370,000 square meters.
- Songyue Temple PagodaSongyue Temple Pagoda is the oldest Buddhist tower in China. It was built in the Northern Wei Dynasty (520). It climbs15 stories and has a height of more than 40 meters. With superb craft, it is the oldest polygonal tower in China.
- Xiaoyao PavillionXiaoyao Pavillion is located in Song Shan Mountain which is very beautiful.
- ObservatoryThe observatory in Song Shan Mountain is shown here. It offers unrivaled views of this ancient and scared land.
- Songyang books academyThe Songyang Books Academy, one of the most famous ancient academies, is also located here. Celebrities of ancient times like Sima Guang, Cheng Yi and Fan Zhongyan all gave lectures here. The architecture of the academy is old and elegant, but mostly broken. At the west side, there are two high and old cypress trees named “Great General” and “Second General.” They are the oldest cypresses, bearing witness to some 4,000 years of history.